Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What's the best PDA?

Honestly, I don't know because it depends on individual needs. I own Dopod838Pro, which is also known as HTC TyTN since August 2006. You guys can go to http://www.htc.com/product/03-products.htm to see HTC's product range. At the moment, I'm happy with the unit because I can tweak it. It started with WM5, and I've flashed it with non-official WM6 (courtesy of xda-developer). I can also make it as a portable WIFI (G-band) just by tweaking the registry. Cool especially for me who run around.

If I want to get a new model and my budget is about 3K, then I'll take TyTN II simply because it has GPS receiver. Navigation is "the thing" for me now. May be for now. Seriously, I use it to get to one "kenduri kahwin" last week. It works but don't expect too much because the accuracy is about 50 to 100 meter. So, if the roads are too close to each other, then the application may make some mistake. If that happens then use your head, dude.

3, 4 years ago, I had P900 but it didn't suit my need because there was not too many Symbian apps around as well as tweaks. The hand writing recognition was also awkward to me. So I surrendered it and got XDAIIMini. I loved its size but it has only 2G, and when 838Pro hit our shore, I just grabbed it because it has 3G and also HSDPA. Few months ago, I can get about 700 to 800 kbps but it is history now. With aggressive marketing strategy by Celcom, the bandwidth seems to shrink. On top of that, the HSDPA device also is getting cheaper. Right now, you can get nice phone with HSDPA around RM 700 (e.g. Nokia 6120 AP)

One thing for sure, PDA will not replace your desktop even though it comes with Mobile Word, Mobile Excel, etc. Why? Both come from Microsoft and Microsoft definitely want to sell both. So, to make that happens, they must complement each other. That is my take. Some formatting, formulas are not supported on WM. So, if that happens, you may want to try softmaker.

But, I think the most important thing in deciding the purchase of a phone or PDA is RM la...

I learn a lot at mypdacafe. So check it out.

No comments: