Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Hobbies when you're in the 30s…mountain biking

Contributed by Pendekarq. TQVM.

Continuing from the previous article, just want to share what is mountain biking, or MTB. The definition below is taken from Wikipedia.

A mountain bike or mountain bicycle (abbreviated MTB or ATB (All Terrain Bicycle)) is a bicycle designed for mountain biking, either on dirt trails or other unpaved environments. In contrast, road bicycles are not rugged enough for such terrain.

Mountain bikes have wide, knobby tires for extra traction and shock absorption. In recent years, front wheel suspension has become the norm and full front and rear suspension is becoming increasingly common. Some mountain bikes are also fitted with bar ends on the handlebars, but with the increase in popularity of riser handlebars (as opposed to a flat straight handlebar) fewer riders use bar end extensions. The bikes normally have 26 in (559 mm) wheels, but since 2002 some models have been available with 29 in (622 mm)wheels, which is the same diameter most commonly used for road bikes (also know as 700c). (The name given to a rim diameter in inches is different from the rim's actual size.). Mountain bikes can be classified into four categories based on suspension:

1. Fully Rigid (unsuspended): A frame with a rigid fork and fixed rear, no suspension.
2. Hardtail: A frame with a front suspension fork and no rear suspension.
3. Soft Tail: A frame with small amount of rear suspension, activated by flex of the frame instead of pivots.
4. Dual or Full Suspension: A front suspension fork and rear suspension with a rear shock and linkage that allow the rear wheel to move on pivots.

I started with my brother’s hardtail bike, which was kept in my mother’s house. He seems like “I am too lazy to ride, better have a nap…” It is 18inch Proton T-Blaze with cheap components. Slowly I did some component upgrading, until it came across my mind… “I’ve been spending more than the price of the bike itself for upgrading,…hmmmm..” Influences from my buddies also contributed. Few brands to mention here, Merida, KHS, Giant, Haro, Jamis and so many more, money talks…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thot we're already too old for this. and summore this entry comes after the departure of our fren. mcm `mid-life crisis' lak. just kidding k.

-AY @ Co-editor-

Anonymous said...

Azam
life goes on. there's nothing to do with our fren's departure. FYI, mostly MTBers are 30s-50s, as to keep helthy ( while we are still alive...) while younger gen are busy rempiting.

Anyway, alfatihah again to our beloved fren...

Anonymous said...

whatever makes u happy. i assume pendekar yg tulis komen tu. -ay-

Anonymous said...

Getting older makes one more valuable in terms of exercising his/her options.

Cycling is a good exercise and also for bonding. At least, there is something to look forward after hours.

Other exercise, sports (except sports toto, he he he...) are also good. As long as you can sweat and feel fresh after those activities. But don't over do it because I think we are not fit/agile/flexible as before. Do think as if we are in 20s because our body is not. Make sure our mind and body are in sync, else, we may injure ourselves.

-jebat-

Anonymous said...

I digress. If you keep at it consistently, build up slowly, you'll get even fitter than when you were younger. Last week I ran with a 58-year-old uncle and he was faster.

Injury is part and parcel of sports, anyone can get injured, but the good part is, muscle tissues get stronger after recovery. I attest to this.

At least, taking up sports is a healthy mid-life crisis. :)

Anonymous said...

Believe me, I've seen many of my friends ended up wrapped in bandage because they think that they are 10s, or 20s but the bodies are not. So, when their heads said turn, but the bodies didn't, they twisted their ankle, knees, waist. Worst, they snapped their ligaments, bones.

No doubt, the 'extra' can condition me, but sports is not the most important thing to me except to stay healthy and keeping relationship.

That's why I just let people who shoot hard to score against me when I play goalie in futsal. I can't take risk of injuring my fingers, I need them for my life (write docs, programs, etc.)

Gol, gol lah, pakcik tak kisah. Korang pun happy bila score kan... :-)

Anonymous said...

wrapped in bandage...hmmm...we dun have same strength/ability compare to each other, so man-man. Just to share, I am still playing rugby at this age, and one of team mates is oredi 47 (starian 1977)...anyway I will do whatevr makes me happy, as a.y. said....
-pendekaq-